Files, files and more files

White-crowned Sparrow and Weigela flowers

I distinctly remember when I was introduced to digital photography, I was never really enamored with the whole concept.  Being a staunch user of film with my Minolta X700, I believed that nothing could ever replace physical 4×6 prints and traditional photo album to show and store.  I wondered what good would come of taking pictures and then leaving them on the computer with the only way of viewing them was to gather around the monitor. Printing would be expensive and of course the first digital cameras were not cheap.  My how things have changed!

In my quest to create a new website, I decided I had to start from scratch which meant going through all of my images.  I knew I could take some of the content from Pixelz.ca but I wanted Arniworks to be more than just a refresh.  In the past 5 years I have accumulated over 75,000 images.  In order to get the best images for Arniworks.com, I will have to review all of my images, keep some for posterity but the reality is that a large number of the images will be moved to the Trash bin.

To complicate matters further, for a variety of reasons, I have decided to switch to Adobe software products for my post-processing needs.  This means I have to learn new software and determine a new workflow for reviewing and processing the images.  However, Lightroom 4 is remarkably similar to Apple Aperture, seems faster, produces better results in RAW file conversion process and easily handled my 75,000 images.  Importing was easy and quickly accomplished.   I was able to review and rate my images over a couple of weeks which I am now able to use as my basis for the galleries in Arniworks.com.

Over the next month or 2 as Pixelz.ca winds down, Arniworks.com will grow.  As before, I will blog about significant additions in the website and I am very interested in hearing your opinion on the new site, such as it’s content, ease of use and overall look and feel.  I will also blog more often aiming for once a week.  Thanks for dropping by!

This entry was posted in backyard, Birds, News, Orillia, Photos, processing and tagged , , .

10 Comments

1. Martin October 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

That’s a beautiful picture. Nice bokeh, well composed and a splash of vibrant colour.

• Arni October 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks Martin. The Sparrows at my feeders spend all their time on the ground scratching for food but every now and then one lands in the shrubbery that is still in bloom.

2. Tony Stinnissen October 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Great ideas Arni I want to catalog all of of my old 35mm negs! Bought the epson V500 scanner last spring it works well on 35mm as well as120 size. Still working on my parents collection,you and your brothers and sister were a big part of that as youcan see in my file.

• Arni October 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Thanks Tony. I am considering getting one of those exact scanners. I have a friend who also recommends an Epson Perfection series scanner to do my parents collection. I think that will occupy most of the winter!

3. Scott Martin October 17, 2012 at 12:46 am #

Its great to see the migrants arriving Arni and this is a super shot of the WCSparrow.

• Arni October 17, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Thanks Scott. The blooms are now gone with the first frost, so I was super happy to get the shot when I did.

4. Gilda November 4, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Beautiful pictures! I’m just getting familiar with your new site and as always look forward to the updates. Good work!

• Arni November 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks for stopping by Gilda, I hope you like the new look.

5. Gilda December 7, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

I would like to see the Barred owl myself if it’s that close to home! Great picture.

• Arni December 16, 2012 at 8:33 am #

We can easily go a walk a see if it still there!