Summer variety – June

Other than the bird/photographic dedicated trips, I often take a short drive close to home or take pictures while on vacation. Sometimes I take just a few, sometimes several hundred but not many days go by without activating the shutter on my camera. I find that it is good practice and I am always trying to improve. The last few posts were focused on the moose trip to Algonquin but I have taken many more images. I would like to share some of my bird highlights from the month of June which has to be the best month to find birds in full breeding colours. As I have indicated in past posts, I think there were less birds this year that made it to our area but nonetheless I did find 2 which were life list birds.

This Black-throated Blue Warbler was found not far from Carden on a new property that will worth exploring next spring.

Black-throated Blue Warbler 1Black-throated Blue Warbler 2

The Golden-winged Warbler is a species listed at risk in Ontario as a result of a number of factors including loss of habitat. One of the other threats is that the Golden-winged Warbler will also mate with Blue-winged Warblers, producing hybrids with characteristics from both species. The most common hybrid is known as a “Brewster’s Warbler and the rarer form is known as a ‘Lawrence’s Warbler’. According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, the Lawrence’s Warbler hybrid is produced when two Brewster’s Warblers mate. Finding the Lawrence’s Warbler enabled me to add this particular bird to my life list even though it is still considered a Golden-winged Warbler. I also have an image of the Lawrence’s Warbler in my 2014 calendar.

Lawrence's Warbler 1Lawrence's Warbler 2Lawrence's Warbler 3

We went camping on the Canada Day long weekend at Mikisew Provincial Park which is 2 hours north of Orillia. We had never been there before and it is always fun to explore a new area. We saw Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers and Pine Warblers there. A hike into the mature forests also produced another life bird that is often heard but rarely seen, the Winter Wren, another life list bird.

Yellow-rumped WarblerBlack-and-white WarblerPine WarblerWinter Wren

Thanks for stopping by!

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature Photography, Photos, Warblers and tagged , , , , , , , .

8 Comments

1. Rob Smith September 14, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Great shots Arni! You certainly have some lovely little guys to practice on, these are gorgeous

• Arni September 15, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Thanks Rob, we do have a great variety in the spring and summer in various parts of the province and country. Fall is quickly approaching so we will have to settle on the permanent residents which isn’t so bad!

2. Martin September 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Sharp sharp and sharp. I guess that big $$$ glass is paying off. Love the Black Throated Blue. I have never seen one in my life. A very rare catch.

• Arni September 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Hi Martin. The Black-throated Blue is one of my favourites too. The big glass is impressing me every time I take it out. As you know, good glass helps to make a good picture but great glass helps to make a great picture.

3. Scott Martin September 18, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Another superb series Arni and you’ve made it difficult to pick a favourite as they are all so good….that said the first Lawrence’s Warbler is my choice.

• Arni September 18, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Thanks Scott, it has certainly been a great year and it does make it difficult to pick a favourite. The Lawrence’s was a great find thanks to another photographer and I hope that it returns next spring so we get another try at it.

4. Nate B September 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Wow, you are really killing it Arni! I am really taken back by all the stunning images you have created this year, amazing work.

PS I am partial to the BT Blue as well, my favourite warbler by far!

• Arni September 21, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Thanks so much Nate. The great thing about nature is that you never really know what you could be lucky or privileged enough to capture an image of and this year has been awesome. By the way, I have seen some pretty awesome pics on your site too!